Sangria is a wine-based drink with many virtues:
- It's easy to assemble and can be done 24-48 hours in advance of a party.
- It's easy to serve at said party. Pour over ice. Maybe a garnish. Back to the party.
- The individual ingredients are not expensive but the final drink tastes pretty fancy.
- It helps you use up that bottle of wine that's been sitting in the fridge for too long.
- It's a forgiving drink and permits all manner of customization.
This 3-4 ingredient Sangria recipe is very dry, which can be good on its own but also makes it a fine candidate for experimentation and expansion.
For more of a citrus kick, add a splash of orange liqueur or citrus bitters. Maybe a few limes? Try adding Brandy or Bourbon for sweetness. Or pineapple soda ... might be good ... maybe?
16 oz. Red Wine (Dry)
8 oz. Orange juice (fresh squeezed)
2 oz. Bourbon or Brandy (optional)
Simply mix all ingredients in a covered pitcher and allow to mellow in the fridge for 6+ hours.
Serve over ice.
Makes 4 servings.